- Named the recipient of the Joseph E. and Ursil I. Callen Prize.
- Recipient of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship to United Kingdom
Trevor Fidler, PhD:
- Selected as a post-doctoral winner for the 2017 FOEDRC poster session:"Deletion of GLUT1 and GLUT3 Reveal Multiple Roles for Glucose Metabolism in Platelet and Megakaryocyte Function."
AJ Hinton, PhD:
- Selected as a most outstanding entry for the Carver College of Medicine Health Sciences Research Week poster competition
Yuan Zhang, PhD:
Abel Lab in the News:
- 2 Diabetes Center Undergraduate Researchers Featured in University of Iowa News Article on Undergraduate Research Achievements
- Undergraduates in the Abel lab contribute to scientific discovery
- Abel lab Awarded Grant from the American Heart Association to Study the Link Between Heart Metabolism and Heart Failure Recovery
E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD
News Archives from University of Utah
- E. D. Abel named to Benning Chair
- Seminal Work on Heart Dysfunction in Diabetes Earns U Endocrinologist, E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, Top Award from International Endocrine Society
- Chief E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, is honored with a 2011 Distinguished Mentor Award in recognition of his exceptional mentoring of students and post-doctoral scholars.
- Dr. Abel is elected to serve on the council of The Endocrine Society effective June 7, 2011.
- Congratulations to our Chief E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, for his recent election to the prestigious Association of American Physicians! This venerable organization will be honoring Dr. Abel in April for his outstanding research in molecular mechanisms that lead to diabetes and obesity related heart dysfunction and insulin resistance. Also being honored at the AAP's annual meeting will be Dr. Abel's colleague, CardiologistDean Li, MD, PhD, who is being elected due to his breakthrough research in vascular diseases. Read more about this great honor.
- The American Diabetes Association's Forefront magazine recently highlighted research being done by Dr. Dale Abel, Dr. Sandra Sena, and Dr. J. David Symons that will allow a better understanding of how diabetes can damage mitochondria in the heart, and how new treatments may help lessen the impact of diabetes on the heart.
- Thyroid Awareness Month - The Deseret News article "Cold, tired, weight gain, hair loss? Your thyroid may be culprit" by Brooke Brown, stresses the importance of increasing awareness about thyroid disease, but offers differing viewpoints about the best way to test for the disease. Dr. Dale Abel, whose interview begins halfway through the article, agrees with the importance of increasing public awareness of thyroid problems, but believes the standard TSH test is sufficient for an initial screening for thyroid disease.
- Adam Wende of the Abel Lab comes in first at the ADA 5k. Click here for pictures
- March 2009 - E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, Chief of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism received the Outstanding Investigator Award from the Western Society for Clinical Investigation. The award is the highest honor given by the WSCI for scientific achievement of its members.
- Abel Lab work featured on the November 2008 cover of Molecular Endocrinology
- Keystone Symposia, September 23-28, 2008 Organized by Dr. E. Dale Abel
- Article From the recent American Diabetes Association Meeting
A Pioneer in the field of Endocrine-related research will present new data....(p.04)
- Dale Abel's presentation summary from the Second Oriental Congress of Cardiology held in Shanghai China
- Daily Utah Chronicle- U's Young Scientist Unraveling Mystery Behind Heart disease-News
Dr. Dale Abel studies the effects of diabetes on the heart with genetically engineered mice. He's recognized as one of the top young Scientist in the...
- Unews-University of Utah medical school researchers receive nearly $3million in grants to study diabetes
University of Utah endocrinologist E. Dale Abel, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of internal medicine and an investigator with the University's Program in...
- E. Dale Abel elected President of the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism
- Dr. Abel's trip to Chile covered in Chilean newspaper