- Featured in Dare to Discover Banner
- Lead investigator in study that finds that ketogenic diet may not be beneficial for females
Kensuke Tsushima: Former lab member
- Awarded the Rex Montgomery Biochemistry Scholarship
- Awarded the Latham Science Engagement Initiative Fellowship
Antentor Hinton Jr:
Trevor Fidler: Former lab member
Abel Lab in the News:
- Abel Lab receives new $1.4M grant from the National Institutes of Health to study how mitochondrial proteins link estrogen to thrombosis risk.
- Two members of the Abel lab receive awards at the University of Iowa Annual Discovery and Innovation Awards Ceremony
- FOEDRC members’ research on health risk of fried food featured on regional TV outlets
E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD
- Dr. Abel discusses emerging research priorities in endocrine science with the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Video of Dr. Abel’s NIH Astute Clinician Lecture
- Dr. Abel delivers 35th Annual Presidential Lecture of the University of Iowa
- Dr. Abel will receive a "History Makers Award" from the African American Museum of Iowa
- Dr. Abel op-ed on philanthropy published in the Daily Iowan
News Archives from University of Utah
- E. D. Abel named to Benning Chair
- Seminal Work on Heart Dysfunction in Diabetes Earns U Endocrinologist, E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, Top Award from International Endocrine Society
- Chief E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, is honored with a 2011 Distinguished Mentor Award in recognition of his exceptional mentoring of students and post-doctoral scholars.
- Dr. Abel is elected to serve on the council of The Endocrine Society effective June 7, 2011.
- Congratulations to our Chief E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, for his recent election to the prestigious Association of American Physicians! This venerable organization will be honoring Dr. Abel in April for his outstanding research in molecular mechanisms that lead to diabetes and obesity related heart dysfunction and insulin resistance. Also being honored at the AAP's annual meeting will be Dr. Abel's colleague, CardiologistDean Li, MD, PhD, who is being elected due to his breakthrough research in vascular diseases. Read more about this great honor.
- The American Diabetes Association's Forefront magazine recently highlighted research being done by Dr. Dale Abel, Dr. Sandra Sena, and Dr. J. David Symons that will allow a better understanding of how diabetes can damage mitochondria in the heart, and how new treatments may help lessen the impact of diabetes on the heart.
- Thyroid Awareness Month - The Deseret News article "Cold, tired, weight gain, hair loss? Your thyroid may be culprit" by Brooke Brown, stresses the importance of increasing awareness about thyroid disease, but offers differing viewpoints about the best way to test for the disease. Dr. Dale Abel, whose interview begins halfway through the article, agrees with the importance of increasing public awareness of thyroid problems, but believes the standard TSH test is sufficient for an initial screening for thyroid disease.
- Adam Wende of the Abel Lab comes in first at the ADA 5k. Click here for pictures
- March 2009 - E. Dale Abel, MD, PhD, Chief of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism received the Outstanding Investigator Award from the Western Society for Clinical Investigation. The award is the highest honor given by the WSCI for scientific achievement of its members.
- Abel Lab work featured on the November 2008 cover of Molecular Endocrinology
- Keystone Symposia, September 23-28, 2008 Organized by Dr. E. Dale Abel
- Article From the recent American Diabetes Association Meeting
A Pioneer in the field of Endocrine-related research will present new data....(p.04)
- Dale Abel's presentation summary from the Second Oriental Congress of Cardiology held in Shanghai China
- Daily Utah Chronicle- U's Young Scientist Unraveling Mystery Behind Heart disease-News
Dr. Dale Abel studies the effects of diabetes on the heart with genetically engineered mice. He's recognized as one of the top young Scientist in the...
- Unews-University of Utah medical school researchers receive nearly $3million in grants to study diabetes
University of Utah endocrinologist E. Dale Abel, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of internal medicine and an investigator with the University's Program in...
- E. Dale Abel elected President of the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism
- Dr. Abel's trip to Chile covered in Chilean newspaper